Sorry, We're Closed

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Amy Amy Amy

I'll admit I was skeptical when Amy Winehouse emerged as a ferociously popular singer. Her too-skinny drugged-out persona pissed me off, and I didn't get the point of "Rehab" the first couple of times I heard it.

Thanks to my pal Phillip, I began to listen a little more closely to her second album, Back to Black, and soon realized that this was a singer and songwriter of no little depth and intensity. The girl-group charm of the sorrowful title song, the heartbreaking adultery narrative "Just Friends," and the skank of "You Know I'm No Good" are absolutely riveting.

Here's a bonus track from a special CD edition of the album. It's her acoustic demo of "Love is a Losing Game." While the LP cut is terrif, it's this spare version that pierces my heart.

I'm still not comfortable with the idea of my dollars helping fuel her self-destructive habits, but art and artists have ever been thus so. My fingers are crossed that she can keep herself together and find happiness...or at least keep sharing her gift.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

STU!! dammit.. dude.. wasn't it ME who told you about Amy Winehouse something like.. oh.. a year ago? :)

When I first heard "Rehab" on a local uber-mix radio station (the "we play anything" market) - I thought it was some forgotten girl group track from the 60's. The production was almost straight out of the Spector playbook. I did a bit of digging and discovered "Back to Black".

This girl has to be a reincarnated Billie Holiday, or Janis Joplin. Her karmic baggage is heavy, and she's far too young to be so damaged - the raw beauty of her voice is undeniable.

If you want a sharp contrast to her "before drugs" and after.. go to YouTube and search for her video to "F*** Me Pumps" off her first cd called "Frank". The performance is almost joyful - and you just want to hug her and squeeze her and invite her out for a curry.

From "Back to Black" - I love the catchy vocal she does on "Tear Dry On Their Own" layered on top of the original backing track to "Aint No Mountain" - the Marvin & Tammy classic.

Getting back to "Love is a Losing Game" - this song (in my mind) is almost strong enough to stand close to Aretha Franklin's "Aint No Way".

Chills and butterfllies an everythang...

As I've said in many a blog across the webverse - I really wish that someone could reach this tragic girl and convince her of the great gift she has, what potential she has, and unless she can get a grip on her demons she will be dead by 30.

You really do need to get out more, Stu :-)

*hugs*

- Amy in Boston (the other white soul girl)

p.s. Happy Christmas, Joyous Yule, and a peaceful New Year to you and Ceci

10:18 AM, December 09, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home