Sorry, We're Closed

Monday, November 10, 2008

And Still More Non-Beatles Beatles

I gotta get off this Beatle-ish record thing!

But not until I share another one. Milwaukee's The Ricochetts recorded "Losing You" for the Chicago-based Quill label. This early 1966 single was the group's second of three 45s.

Penned by Ricochetts singer/guitarist Ar Kriegel (now known as Ar J. Stevens), "Losing You" far outclasses the Brian Hyland tune placed on the disc's A-side. Combining sweet, simple lyrics and a gorgeous melody, it's worthy of any American Beatle-influenced combo. The jangly 12-string guitar and British-styled harmonies are de rigeur for the times, while the tambourine, careful drumming, and aggressive guitar attack point at a polished, more American approach.

Seemingly within weeks of this record's release, times would change, rendering faux Merseybeat as hip as The Twist. The Ricochetts' record apparently sold 10,000 copies in the Wisconsin-Illinois area, but did nothing nationally. Too bad.

Ar J. Stevens, however, is still playing music today with his "new" band, Ar Stevens & the Ricochettes. This combo has seen far more success than the 60s version; the new band has backed up many "legacy" artists and toured for several years with Bobby Vee. Nice to see that a rock and roll story sometimes works out!!

You can get a CD of the group's new material, plus all three of the original Ricochetts' 1960s singles and b-sides (!), by visiting this site.

I just love records like "Losing You"; hope you enjoy this one too.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty Groovy, also reminds me of The Cyrkle. It's the vocals I guess. I wonder if this ever got played on WLS or WCFL.


How about some Non-Stones Rolling Stones? I have a record that looks that anyway. It is by a group called The Rokes. "Take A Look" kind of sounds like The Rolling Stones meets the Kinks.

The Rokes were one of the more unusual British Invasion-era groups to come out of England, if only for the pattern and locale of their success. They never sold many records in England, or any in America, but they were a major act in Italy and also managed to make an extraordinary, albeit indirect, impact on the 1960s with a song that they originally premiered in Italian. Bruce Eder, All Music Guide.
http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/card/0,,486541,00.html

11:27 PM, November 11, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...And on side 2 "No No No" sounds like The Yardbirds.

11:59 PM, November 11, 2008

 
Blogger Bob Purse said...

This actually reminds me more of the Beau Brummels, maybe because of something specific in the close harmonies, although I can also hear the early to mid '65 Beatles sound, too (not really my favorite Beatles' sound). I like the bridge here the best, I think. Thanks again.

2:15 PM, November 20, 2008

 
Blogger Stuart Shea said...

The bridge is my favorite part, too. I also enjoy the somewhat compressed guitar sound. And I think all the harmonies are gorgeous.

Ned, I love your idea of Non-Stones Stones!!! I'm not familiar at all with the Rokes...do you have a recording that I could post here?

4:31 PM, November 20, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to work on a digital recording. But here are some links.

http://www.sezionemusica.it/discografie/gruppi%20beat/rokes/rokes.htm

http://www.sezionemusica.it/discografie/gruppi%20beat/rokes/rokes4.jpg

brush up your italiano.

LP – THE ROKES – ARC 1965

LP – THE ROKES VOL. 2 – ARC 1966

LP – CHE MONDO STRANO – ARC 1967

LP – THE ROKES – ARC 1968

LP – I SUCCESSI DEI ROKES – ARC 1969 - Raccolta

11:52 AM, November 24, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home