Sorry, We're Closed

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Er, 31 More Singers

Well, I knew I couldn't stop at just 31. So here are 31 more. I'm sure that your favorite is probably omitted! For some of these, I've included links to videos. Hope they're helpful, and, as always, thanks for reading.

Andy Partridge (XTC): "This is Pop," "25 O'Clock," "Green Man"

Pete Seeger: "Russian Folk Themes and Yodel," "Tenting Tonight," "Times are Gettin' Hard"

Amy Winehouse: "Love is a Losing Game" (Demo), "You Sent Me Flying," "Just Friends"

Mamas & the Papas: "I Saw Her Again (Last Night)," "Got a Feelin'," "Words of Love"

Bob Dylan: "Subterranean Homesick Blues," "Just Like a Woman," Baby, Let Me Follow You Down"

Otis Redding: "I've Been Loving You Too Long," "Dock of the Bay," "Day Tripper"

Hank Williams: "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry," "Lovesick Blues," "Hey, Good Lookin'"

Bob DePugh (Trizo 50): "Live Like You Wanna Live," "Dream Girl" (version two), "Graveyard"

John Lydon: "Home is Where the Heart Is," "Pretty Vacant," "Holidays in the Sun"

John McCormack: "Macushla," "I Hear You Calling Me," "She Moved Through the Fair"

Diana Ross: "Love is Like an Itching in My Heart," "Love Hangover," "He's All I Got"

Roy Orbison: "There Won't Be Many Coming Home," "It's Over,""Oh, Pretty Woman"

Buddy Holly: "Peggy Sue Got Married," "Rave On," "True Love Ways"

Dionne Warwick: "Alfie," "Anyone Who Had a Heart," "I Say a Little Prayer"

Pete Ham (Badfinger): "Baby Blue," "Take it All," "We're For the Dark"

Tom Jones: "It's Not Unusual," "The Lonely One," "Promise Her Anything"

Michael Stipe: "Southern Central Rain (I'm Sorry)," "Perfect Circle," "Good Advices"

Gram Parsons: "Brass Buttons," "Return of the Grievous Angel," "To Love Somebody"

Sandy Denny: "You Never Wanted Me," "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" "I Don't Know Where I Stand"

Micky Dolenz: "As We Go Along," "Daily Nightly," "Girl I Knew Somewhere"

George Harrison: "The Inner Light," "Long Long Long," "Love Comes to Everyone"

Elvis Costello: "Tiny Steps," "Lipstick Vogue," "Baby Plays Around"

David Gilmour: "Dogs," "Breathe," "Fearless"

Mark Lindsay: "Too Much Talk," "Just Like Me," "Louie, Go Home"

Morrissey: "William, it Was Really Nothing," "Asleep," "Back to the Old House" (acoustic)

Steve Martin (The Left Banke): "Pretty Ballerina," "Walk Away Renee," "She May Call You Up Tonight"

Donovan: "Catch the Wind," "Lady of the Lamp," "The Summers Day Reflection Song"

Pete Shelley (The Buzzcocks): "Everybody's Happy Nowadays," "I Believe," "Ever Fallen In Love?"

Mick Jagger: "Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Under My Thumb," "Backstreet Girl"

Astrud Gilberto: "The Girl from Ipanema," "Look to the Rainbow," "Who Needs Forever?"

Curtis Mayfield: "Move on Up," "Freddie's Dead," "Choice of Colors"

Missing in action: Roger Daltrey...Stevie Wonder...Jeff Buckley...Alex Chilton...Gladys Knight...Levi Stubbs...Terry Hall...Mick Jagger...Nina Simone...Edwyn Collins...Mike Smith...Pete Townshend...Bing Crosby...David Crosby...Roger McGuinn...Jeff Lescher...Martha Reeves...and so many more.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the video links. Boy, watching young Stipe, and Morrissey - what odd performers. I think it is just hard to know what to do with your body when you are an introvert singing in front of people. A wee bit of choreography seems to make it less awkward. (See prince).

8:00 AM, October 14, 2009

 
Blogger Amy said...

hahahahah!! See... I KNEW you could not resist the lure of Amy Winehouse's amazing voice. That girl is a trainwreck, but damn can she sing!!
Thank you for mentioning Pete Ham.
"We're For the Dark" is truly an amazing performance, one of those songs that he seems to sell effortlessly.
Good list, I can't disagree with any of your choices.

10:45 AM, October 14, 2009

 
Anonymous Joyce said...

I have to say, I would have liked to have seen your Mike Smith choices..but you have Mark Lindsay's uber-smoking "Too Much Talk" on this, so it's good. "I Saw Her Again (Last Night)" is wonderfully, joyously sung and "True Love Ways" is the absolute best Buddy Holly song of all. Period. And I really like that you gave a nod to John McCormack. Another great, wide ranging list!

11:14 AM, October 14, 2009

 
Blogger Brian Cubbison said...

This is off-topic for this post, but at least it's about baseball: I write a blog about media here: http://blog.syracuse.com/future-news and I'd like to ask you about your work with Who's Who in Baseball. You can contact me at bcubbison@syracuse.com.

1:57 PM, October 18, 2009

 
Blogger Bob Purse said...

Stu, you recently paid me a great compliment regarding my song-poem knowledge. Let me pay it back to you here regarding these posts.

Your knowledge of music is amazing in its breadth and depth. Besides the singers on these two lists that I'm not familiar with, I'm awed by the number of songs by familiar singers that I'm unfamiliar with.

Thanks for two great posts.

Bob

10:57 AM, October 19, 2009

 
Anonymous Jonathan said...

Late to the game, but I'd second Daltrey (the scream at the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again" can't be replicated), Cobain on the MTV Lived Unplugged, and Amel Larrieux of Groove Theory and her own spacey soul solo releases.

4:21 AM, October 29, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home