Sorry, We're Closed

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Proto-Disco

My pal Carlos and I are DJing a disco party on June 19--to which you are all invited to attend--and I've been thinking a lot about dance music--mostly what I'd call "proto-disco," stuff from 1973 and 1974 that really helped kick-start the movement toward a new form of dance music but hadn't yet been branded with the dreaded D-word.

The records of this kind that really stick out for me are The Hues Corporation's "Rock the Boat," George McCrae's "Rock Your Baby," Gloria Gaynor's "Never Can Say Goodbye," MFSB's "TSOP," and The Jackson Five's "Dancing Machine." These records, some spare and some very complex, can boast elements of Latin music, acid rock, Philly soul, and even electronic music, and are among my favorite singles of the 1970s.

Got some favorite disco tracks? Let me know. Maybe I'll add 'em to the set list.

Here's a hilarious video of the Hues Corporation. I love the lead singer's almost manic toe-tapping and the far-out dance moves of the backup singers, who look like veteran soul singers who've been around the block once or twice before finally getting their chance to hit it big!

Peace and Love.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Disco songs? You're asking me for disco songs??? I'm afraid you're outta luck, pal. Now, if you'd ask for the best New Wave Of British Heavy Metal songs, I can help you there.

3:41 PM, June 03, 2008

 
Blogger Jennifer Kelley said...

You have to include something by KC and the Sunshine Band-- "That's The Way", perhaps, or "Keep It Coming Love." "I Will Survive" is always welcome. Gordon McCrae's "Rock Your Baby." Village People are also a must, but go with something not played as much, like "Key West" or "My Roommate." Also, those not-at-all-disco songs that nevertheless got blown up by Steve Dahl: "Heart of Glass" and "Goodnight Tonight."

6:09 AM, June 04, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toulouse - "It Always Happens That Way"

And the now-forgotten classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyw8eSKIdvg

12:14 PM, June 04, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How'z about some: Ohio Players, O'Jays, Isley Bros, Parliament, Avg. White Band, Eddie Kendricks? I'd include Heatwave because I love them! ... maybe Commodores "Machine Gun?"

5:51 PM, June 04, 2008

 
Blogger Stuart Shea said...

Good suggestions all, folks! Thanks. More details on set list, etc. as they emerge. And do come to this event if you're so inclined--it's a good cause.

6:08 PM, June 04, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe some Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band, who weren't really proto-, but were "hybrid", at least! And they morphed into Kid Creole and the Coconuts, who had some pretty good post-disco dance songs...

Welcome back!

5:21 AM, June 06, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to include Billy Preston in my list -- "Outa Space" would be cool!

7:51 PM, June 06, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a major weakness for 70s Eurodisco - therefore, I'd say no disco party would be complete without "Rasputin" by Boney M, "Born to Be Alive" by Patrick Hernandez, and "Soul Dracula" by Hot Blood.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t9T0yz9MDro

5:28 PM, June 07, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anything by yvonne elliman

7:52 AM, June 08, 2008

 
Blogger Derek See said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:10 AM, June 08, 2008

 
Blogger Derek See said...

You must not forget SHAME SHAME SHAME by Shirley and Co & KEEP ON TRUCKIN by Eddie Kendricks. Ka-pow!

10:11 AM, June 08, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the video and song! Pretty cool!
Sara

6:48 PM, June 23, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home