Sorry, We're Closed

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Playlist, August 26

Here's what I played during my first two sets of "Chewy Chewy Yummy Yummy Sugar Sugar," Chicago's bubblegum music night, on Sunday 8/26.

My DJ partners that night, Dave Monroe and Rachel Illarde, did a great job. It was a lot of fun. (My pen was mislaid after my second set, so no document of set three exists.)

Set I
You Told Me--The Monkees
SOS--Abba
Dis Petit Tom--Chantal Pary
Lightnin' Strikes--Lou F***ING CHRISTIE!
So It Goes--Nick Lowe
Down at Lulu's--Ohio Express
You Were all I Needed--D.C. Playboys
Just Don't Want to Be Lonely--The Main Ingredient
Valleri--The Monkees
I Don't Want Our Loving to Die--The Herd
Love is Thicker Than Water--Andy Gibb
Life is a Rock (But the Radio Rolled Me)--Reunion

Set II
Rock Me Roxie--Trizo 50
I'll Get You--The Beatles
Up in a Puff of Smoke--Polly Brown
Randy Scouse Git--The Monkees
Little Willy--The Sweet
Quick Joey Small--The Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus
Indian Gin & Whisky Dry--The Bee Gees
Dancing Machine--Jackson Five
The Tra La La Song--The Banana Splits
Little Girl Lies--Blondie
Will You Be Staying After Sunday?--Peppermint Rainbow
Joy--Apollo 100
Rock Me Gently--Andy Kim
Sometime in the Morning--The Monkees
Magic--Pilot
Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead--The Fifth Estate
Let's Have Some Fun--Mod Lads/Mod Singers
Yummy, Yummy, Yummy--Ohio Express

Thanks to all y'all who came out--Tom, Jonathan, Celia, Steve, Bob D, John B, Anthony...and anyone else I forgot. Peace and Love!

As a memento of the evening, please enjoy the amazing 1968 garage/gum pounder "Quick Joey Small." I'm assuming this was sung by Joey Levine, a spectacularly influential artist in the bubblegum genre; the voice is similar to that of other hits he sang, including "Life is a Rock," "Run Run Run" by the Third Rail, and "Yummy Yummy Yummy." Levine is truly an American Tony Burrows. He continues to write today, with his efforts instead going toward catchy commercials.

(BTW, besides including the lyric "Run Joey Run," "QJS" has nothing to do with the horrible 70s death-epic "Run Joey Run," sung forgettably by David Geddes.)

A final note, and a tremendously odd one..did y'all know that the lyrics to the epochal "Life is a Rock" were written by Norman Dolph, who helped Andy Warhol with technical production on the first Velvet Underground album? Amazing, no?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bite your tongue, Hombre - Tony Burrows is the British Joey Levine!

Many fine cherces in both sets, in any case...

4:59 PM, August 28, 2007

 
Blogger Stuart Shea said...

Dan,
Touche. Far as I know, Tony Burrows didn't write anything.

5:09 PM, August 28, 2007

 
Blogger h said...

My buddy David and I were scheduled to come out but due to a miscommunication we missed it. :( Any more of these coming up? I'm so sorry I couldn't go... again! Had an outfit and everything.

9:30 AM, August 30, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home