Sorry, We're Closed

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A Barrel of Miscellany

The midwest's annual Fest for Beatles Fans was held this past weekend in suburban Chicago. My co-author Rob Rodriguez and I appeared on two discussion panels at the fest, promoting our new book Fab Four FAQ. Things went well; we sold out of all the copies that the Fest people ordered, and made some new friends.

Barry Bonds hit his 756th homer last night to pass Hank Aaron on the all-time list. I'm glad he did; Bonds may have taken steroids, but we don't know that for sure, and even if he did, he ain't alone. I've been through this before, but a huge number of athletes in all sports take 'roids, including major league pitchers (in fact, probably more pitchers than position players take them). Back in his day, Willie Mays and Willie Stargell , to name just two, not only took amphetamines, but distributed them to their teammates, so let's not get all weepy about the "good old days." Nobody's going to forget Hank Aaron because Bonds has hit more homers.

On the music tip, I'm going to start sharing a lot more things in the near future because I finally found a decent online music storage/playing solution.

Today's selection is a chunk of raw midwestern soul from Little Anne. "Lean Lanky Daddy" dates from the mid-sixties but wasn't released until a few years ago. It's a classic Detroit cut with a great bassline, cool backing vocals, and references to contemporary records by Edwin Starr, Aretha Franklin, and others. Fierce!





Enjoy.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any non-fest book signings/appearances on the horizon? Else I'm going to have to take the Amazon plunge (unless it's available somewhere in town that I've missed!)

I don't hate Barry Bonds, but I felt bad watching Hank Aaron give that video tribute -- I sensed he was forced into it and if so, he shouldn't have been...

7:19 AM, August 08, 2007

 
Blogger h said...

Hey Stu, congratulations!! I wish I could have been there. Slightly off-topic, and you've probably seen this already, but in case you haven't:
http://www.anis-online.de/2/musik/beatles.htm

8:58 AM, August 09, 2007

 
Blogger h said...

P.S. See you tonight at the chocolate shop.

8:59 AM, August 09, 2007

 
Blogger Stuart Shea said...

Jonathan,
I assume that Aaron did that of his own volition. Knowing what I do of him, he's not easily forced into anything. It was good that he came across so well.

Anne,
What a cool link! Thanks!

11:17 PM, August 09, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the book, by the way. The two of you writing together is something that should be done more often. I see that Rob hasn't lost his edge at all. I was almost sure I could hear him making the snide remarks here and there. It's book written by fans who don't sugarcoat anything, and don't seem intent on crawling up anyone's backside (*cough* Macca *cough*)

Well done, you guys! I feel honored to say "I know the guys who wrote this!"

-Amy

3:23 PM, August 18, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home