Sorry, We're Closed

Saturday, September 24, 2005

60s Museum Event--the Playlist

I was lucky enough to serve as a DJ tonight at the 60s Museum Benefit at Chicago's Kinetic Playground club. The night featured sets by the New Invaders (with a guest appearance by Jimy Sohns, lead singer of Chicago's 60s punks The Shadows of Knight) and by the headliner, Country Joe McDonald (with three of the original four Fish backing him)!

Before the New Invaders, I played the following:

Arthur Alexander--You Better Move On
Beach Boys--I Get Around
Impressions--It's All Right
New Colony Six--At the River's Edge
Rolling Stones--Get Off My Cloud
Bob Dylan--Outlaw Blues
Aretha Franklin--I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)
Jefferson Airplane--She Has Funny Cars
Kinks--Tired of Waiting
Beatles--Paperback Writer
J.J. Jackson--But it's Alright
Herbie Hancock--Bring Down the Birds
Seeds--Pushin' Too Hard
Byrds--Artificial Energy
Mar-Keys--Last Night
Ray Charles--Mess Around
Little Annie--Lean Lanky Daddy
Nazz--Open My Eyes
Lovin' Spoonful--Summer in the City
Beach Boys--Good Vibrations
Nina Simone--I Put a Spell on You
Michael & the Messengers--(Just Like) Romeo & Juliet
Crosby, Stills, & Nash--Marrakesh Express

Following the New Invaders/Jimy Sohns set, I played:

Bob Dylan--She Belongs to Me
Shadows of Knight--Oh Yeah
Albert King--Crosscut Saw
Foundations--Baby, Now That I've Found You
Cryan Shames--Mr. Unreliable
Edwin Starr--Agent Double-O-Soul
Supremes--Love is Like an Itching in My Heart
Knickerbockers--Lies
Cream--N.S.U.
Little Esther Phillips--Mojo Hannah
Yardbirds--I'm Not Talking
Doors--Touch Me
Bar-Kays--Soul Finger
Ides of March--You Wouldn't Listen
Kinks--A Well Respected Man
Byrds--Tribal Gathering

And, after Country Joe's long, but fun, set:

Otis Redding & Carla Thomas--Tramp
Etta James--Tell Mama
Jefferson Airplane--3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds
Strangeloves--Night Time
Beatles--Revolution


I'm tired, but It was a good time. If you're interested in learning more about the 60s museum, and events such as this one, go to 60smuseum.org.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, you're wide ranging tastes and knowledge of music is astounding and impressive. Sounds like a good time.

6:25 AM, September 26, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

er, "your"

Incidentally, realoldies played Kenny Rogers' "Ruby", from 1969, the other day.

6:27 AM, September 26, 2005

 
Blogger Stuart Shea said...

Well, as far as my wide-ranging tastes that night, it's easy to play a variety of songs when nobody bothers to give you a format...

12:06 PM, September 27, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, yeah, but I was more commenting on the variety itself. There are plenty of songs here I've never even heard OF, let alone heard.

Like, who are these "Supremes" you mention?

2:03 PM, September 27, 2005

 
Blogger gjersey said...

Like, you are WAY better than ipod shuffle.

5:21 PM, September 27, 2005

 
Blogger Stuart Shea said...

Dave, thanks for posting. That was a fun event...

5:12 PM, December 01, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my bahamian music ferguson lyrics site.
Have a great week!

10:34 PM, July 22, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home