Sorry, We're Closed

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The Most Inappropriate Thing I've Heard All Year

Dodgers TV announcer Charley Steiner, formerly of ESPN, was for some reason chosen to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" today at Wrigley Field. (Maybe whatever c-list 'celebrity' the Cubs had booked canceled, and they couldn't get one of WGN's news team to fill in at short notice.)

As the top of the seventh ended, Steiner ambled into the booth. He prefaced his song with some sort of dedication to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. After he sang, he ended with a line he'd used in an ESPN ad, originally uttered in Titanic: "Follow me! Follow me to freedom!"

I'm nearly speechless.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was more or less stupified myself - it didn't help that I had no clue who this guy was - but it was idiotic.

However, "the most inappropriate thing I've heard" award this year has to go to (as it has for five years running now) each and every person who addresses GWB as "Mr. President".

2:20 PM, September 07, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home