Sorry, We're Closed

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Recent Record Finds

Over the last week, here are some of the old 45s I've dragged out of various dime bins, from Record Emporium in Chicago, and at the June 4, 2005 Mod Chicago record sale and swap meet....

(Artist/a-side/b-side/label/comment)

Supremes: You Keep Me Hangin' On/Remove this Doubt (Motown) (a nearly perfect copy; good enough to DJ with)

Four Seasons: C'mon Marianne (Philips) (as above; I've written about this record before)

Jimmy McGriff: I've Got a Woman Part I/I've Got a Woman Part II (Sue) (classic organ jazz)

Baby Washington: The Bells/Workout (Trip)

Jazz Crusaders: Way Back Home/Jackson! (Chisa)

Tom Jones: I'm Coming Home/The Lonely One (Parrot) (the b-side is a FANTABULOUS soul stomper, 1966)

Crispian St. Peters: Changes (YES, THE PHIL OCHS SONG!)/My Little Brown Eyes (Jamie)

New Colony Six: Roll On/If You Could See (Sunlight)

Madness: House of Fun/Don't Look Back (Stiff) (My favorite Madness record)

Janis Ian: Insanity Comes Quietly to the Structured Mind/Sunflakes Fall, Snowrays Call (Verve) (1966 teen suicide record--out of its gourd)

Mac and Katie Kissoon: Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep/Walking Around (ABC) (Indescribably silly, but catchy, early 70s madness)

Packers: Hole in the Wall/Go Head On (Pure Soul Music) (mid 60s instrumental)

Connie Francis: Who's Sorry Now/You Were Only Foolin' (MGM) (great, if a little sappy, late 50s pop)

Al Green: I Can't Get Next to You/Ride Sally Ride (Hi) (one of the best versions ever of a Motown song; totally funky)

Les McCann: Kathleen's Theme/Shampoo (Pacific Jazz) (haunting piano jazz; beautiful melody)

Royal Guardsmen: My Airplane/Om (Laurie) (a-side is nothing; the b-side is great studio psychedelia)

Bing Crosby: Hey Jude/Lonely Street (Amos) (indescribably bad, but you realize how good of a singer he was anyway.)

Of course, to get to those good records you have to go through lots of awful ones...but that's part of what I love about dumpster diving...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the Hey Jude/Hey Bing album and it's a train wreck.

My favorite of those on the list I am familiar with is the Connie Francis.

Where is the store you mentioned and where was the record fest?

5:29 PM, June 05, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a single--maybe I still do somewhere--of the Royal Guardsmen singing "Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron." Don't remember it being very psychedelic, but what did an 8-yr-old know?

The first 45s I bought with my own money were by Tom Jones (on Parrot, with that jaunty tropical bird on the label) and Glen Campbell. Used to lip synch to them with a fake mike. Possibly the only songs I ever did that to.

8:43 AM, June 06, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guessing those were two or more separate releases, since I can't imagine a Tom Jones/Glen Campbell duet 45, although the thought of it is pretty funny.

8:51 AM, June 06, 2005

 
Blogger Stuart Shea said...

Hey...Record Emporium is on Paulina, a block or so north of Belmont. I think we've been there once together, "Corey." They used to have a cheap singles bin, but they're all $1.99 now.

I'd love to hear Tom Jones and Glen Campbell duet on "Snoopy vs. the Red Baron."

9:48 AM, June 06, 2005

 
Blogger Stuart Shea said...

Oh, and the record fest was part of the Mod Chicago weekender. (www.modchicago.com)

The record fest, featuring several boxes of justifiably high-priced, hard-to-find soul, r&b, 60s fuzz-punk and British beat records, was held upstairs at a club called Delilah's on Saturday afternoon.

(And if any of you have ever BEEN in a Delilah's on a hot and sunny afternoon, you probably have a feeling of what being inside of a pizza oven feels like.)

9:50 AM, June 06, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, my post caused confusion. I was talking about different 45s, not a duet. But wow, the concept is a little frightening.

5:29 PM, June 06, 2005

 
Blogger Stuart Shea said...

Jim,
We were purposely misinterpreting your post and going with it. Collage art, you know...

6:25 PM, June 06, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, but you see, >I< was misinterpreting your misinterpretation. Ha ha. All part of my cunning plan.....

7:34 AM, June 07, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home