Sorry, We're Closed

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Latest Time-Wasting Activity of a Record Geek

Well, I could write about the Cubs signing Jeromy Burnitz (.247, 21 hr in 126 games, is what I'm thinking he'll provide), but instead...well, for the last month I've been engaged in the ULTIMATE rock and roll geek activity: rating my favorite albums and songs.

Like, who cares, right? Well, it's a cool diagnostic activity...gets me to going back to things I've always loved and seeing if I still love them as much. Anyhoo, I plucked out 50 top albums, and here are the ten that didn't quite make it--i.e, they're 51-60. Eep.

Beatles, With the Beatles
Beatles, The Beatles (White Album)
Big Star's 3rd (Sister Lovers)
Fleetwood Mac
John Lennon, Plastic Ono Band
Madonna, Music
Terry Riley, A Rainbow in Curved Air
Traffic, Mr. Fantasy
The Velvet Underground and Nico (So sue me. I like the 3rd album a lot better. Never had much time for side two of this one.)
XTC, Black Sea

CD-shaped words, in brickbat and valentine form, through cyberwindows are always welcome.

Love on y'all.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stu, you're just teasing us. Are you starting a countdown? Tomorrow do we get 41-50? The last time I remember making a top album list was more than 25 years ago. I guess it would've been easier, since there was so much less to choose from (although it only knocks out 2 of your 51-60).

9:52 PM, February 02, 2005

 
Blogger Stuart Shea said...

Hey, (and who are you?)

You gotta be kidding. I didn't say I'd rate 'em 1-50; that's a fool's errand. Perhaps I could post them alphabetically or something.

Stu

9:46 AM, February 03, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I managed through 10, after that it's hard to draw such subtle distinctions...

- Todd Rundgren: Something/Anything
- Big Star: Radio City
- Laura Nyro: Eli & the Thirteenth Confession
- The Beatles: Rubber Soul(American version -- "I Just Saw a Face" compensates for the missing tracks)
- The Impressions: Greatest Hits (MCA late 1970s, but if GH albums are cheating, substitute "Right On Time")
- R.E.O. Speedwagon: Live - You Get What You Play For (same caveat, though I'll go to my grave saying this is the greatest power pop record ever)
- Fleetwood Mac: Rumours
- R.E.M.: Murmur
- The Kennedys: Life Is Large
- The Blake Babies: Sunburn

1:02 PM, February 03, 2005

 
Blogger Stuart Shea said...

Jonathan,

Thanks for sending a 10-list. (I'd love to see others' such lists as well, with annotation welcome.) At least four of those 10 would be in my top 50, some in the top ten.

The Rundgren album is one I've had for 20 years, and enjoyed several songs on...but for some reason--don't know what it is--I've not sat down and truly investigated it. Would you mind writing about it some? Help me feel what that album makes you feel.

Stu

8:22 PM, February 06, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home